Thursday, July 12, 2007

While I am out and about, I hear people whispering and laughing….the rumor has it that its wrong to describe yourself as a mom. Well that is what I am. First and foremost, yes I am a woman. I have feelings just like you and her and the other lady down the street. I stopped for coffee the other day and a couple of young women were discussing the “older generation”. I guess I was considered that although I have a hard time understanding that. They talked about motherhood as if it was a dirty word, and that having a career is the way to be headed. Well I can agree with them, that some women are not meant to be moms. When I was younger I was very close to mine, I cherish those memories as I face this disease that I am fighting….she was healthy, strong, full of love and laughter. Then I quickly switch to the years of her obsessive drinking, and over the counter pill popping. That eventually took her life, seven years ago this October. I promised myself that I would be the type of mom, that would bake cookies, be involved with the PTO, and anything else that my children would need. I believe that I have done that, along without forgetting that education for myself is vital. I am home for them on the days where there is no school, and when they are sick. I am there to share their joys and sorrows, to wipe tears away, and kiss those boo-boos. I have balanced that along with a home business, volunteering in the community, and being a wife….although lately I feel like I am slipping. Slipping where…into a dismay of confusion, sadness and questions. No I am not questioning my being a mom….just wondering where I am!

2 comments:

Sassy said...

Patty, I think sometimes, as women, who are also moms, we lose our way in life. We try to be so many things to everyone else that we, on occassion forget to be kind to ourselves. You are a wonderful mom, friend, person in this world but remember you're only ONE person and shouldn't try to take the world on your shoulders. It's okay to be a little lost now and again, I think it's what makes us stronger in the long run. We fight to make it back to ourselves and hopefully we succeed. You will, I know, bounce back from this very rough moment in time. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it, in whatever capicity. Anyone who truly knows and cares for you will be there and let the others spread rumors and gossip if that gives them pleausre. I can bet that THOSE people are very sad and lonely indeed! You are an inspiration to all who know you. Hugs...Sassy xo

Anonymous said...

Reading your words is like me looking in the mirror.

I too have tried to "define" myself but I have yet to find who I really am.

If you happen to find the answers will you please share them? I promise to do the same.

Char in So Cal
scrampaddict@cox.net